Menopause is a natural biological process that appears between 45 and 55 years of age and is marked by the end of the fertile period. The ovaries stop producing estrogen and progesterone, which leads to changes in the reproductive system, decreases lipolytic activity (influences fat distribution), the calcium fixation in bones and the formation of collagen, among other changes.
As in training, food must be adapted to the needs of each moment of the woman's life, so that she can live more years and have a better quality of life. Menopause is no different, so it’s essential to adapt your diet to prevent some of the problems associated with menopause.
>> Click here: TODAY'S OFFERS <<
This stage of a woman's life causes special needs for some nutrients:
- Isoflavones: they reduce the unpleasant symptoms of menopause, as they contain natural compounds that mimic estrogens (phytoestrogens). They are found in foods such as soy and derivatives and other grains (lentils, beans, peas);
- Calcium: an increase in the intake of foods rich in this nutrient, such as milk and dairy products, green and leafy vegetables are important to prevent bone decomposition that may occur due to decreased estrogen production, thus preventing characteristic osteoporosis at this stage;
- Antioxidants: in order to prevent the signs of aging of the skin and tissues, the consumption of foods such as red and citrus fruits, may reduce this process;
- Unsaturated fats (omegas): an important nutrient for reducing some symptoms, lowering cholesterol and strengthening brain functions. The increase in the consumption of nuts, seeds and fatty fish contributes to the this nutrient increase, yet the quantities should not be abused;
- Fibers: an increase in your consumption (oats, nuts, vegetables) favours the control of cholesterol and blood sugar, which may increase due to low estrogen.
These nutrients are not always easy to supply with conventional foods only, so supplementation may serve as a complement.
We highlight for this phase the Evening Primrose from Rocksprint, made up of Evening Primrose Oil. This supplement has several pharmacological actions, with a primary focus on women's health. Thus, it becomes an essential component for female athletes who have complaints about inflammation, menstrual changes, menopause, weight, high cholesterol and skin aging.
For good weight management at this stage, in addition to a healthy and balanced diet, it´s important not to forget good water consumption and regular physical exercise, in order to counter a small reduction in basal metabolism.
By Adriana Martins, Nutritionist
>> Was this article useful for you? Subscribe to the newsletter. It's free. CLICK HERE <<