Just as there are trends for fashions in clothes, TV series, diets, among other things, there are foods that, at certain times, for their dissemination or their main nutrient, are famous for a period.
But are “fashion”foodsreally good? The risks versus benefits of these foods always depend on the diet in which they are being inserted and whether the person in question will benefit from their consumption compared to other equivalent options, and must be clarified by a professional (nutritionist).
>> Click here: TODAY'S OFFERS <<
Many of the “fashion food” options presented to us may not be balanced from a nutritional point of view, as the concept “sells” us, or may not present an added value when replacing another option that was usually already consumed.
Get to know some options called “fashion foods” and find out if these foods are worth it:
- Coconut oil: increasingly replacing olive oil, this fat has been increasing in people’s diet, but both can be used, provided they are in moderate amounts, since they have health benefits compared to other fats. However, and compared to the inconclusive benefits of coconut oil in terms of cholesterol and triglycerides, olive oil remains the best option when it comes to cardiovascular protection and even reduction of abdominal fat. Although this fashion food is considered a good option, in a country that produces olive oil, such as Portugal, it makes no sense to change it to coconut oil.
- Juices/Smoothies/Smoothies Detox: drinks based on fruit and vegetables, which usually are used in restrictive diets for those looking for quick results. On the one hand, we can say that these options are good when included in a proper eating style, and for those who have difficulty ingesting certain nutrients in their diet… fruit eaten per day (increasing the amount of sugar). In addition, smoothies are less satiating than consuming vegetables or fruits in their natural state, which can increase your daily calorie consumption.
- Sweet potato: this option has gained more and more fans, especially for those who want to lose weight, but the truth is that when we compare sweet potatoes with conventional potatoes, each has its advantages and benefits. So, anyone can be included in the diet. However, for those who want to lose weight, regardless of the potato variety, you should moderate their consumption.
- Vegetable drinks: vegetable drinks cannot be considered alternatives/substitutes for the consumption of milk, from the nutritional point of view, being poorer in protein, calcium and (usually) with a higher sugar content. However, it is always a valid option to replace the function of milk, namely in color, consistency and culinary use, and when choosing you should opt for drinks that have less sugar content.
- Kombucha: the drink's probiotics are closely related to immunity and better digestive health. Although it can be consumed, pay attention to the sugar content, which can be very high. That said, we can say that there are cheaper options on the market that enrich our food more, such as yogurts or natural kefir that have similar functions.
Healthy eating is essential for anyone looking to improve their health and quality of life, but it should be oriented towards enjoying the benefits of each food without falling into the error of fashion trends. If we have options that need to be replaced, others do not matter so much from a nutritional, economic and even cultural point of view.
By Adriana Martins, Nutritionist
>> Was this article useful for you? Subscribe to the newsletter. It's free. CLICK HERE <<